Our SENDIAS service covers all aspects of special educational needs (SEND).
From providing you with information to address your earliest concerns, to helping you with complex legal processes like statutory assessments, Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP), mediation, appeals, exclusions and complaints.
We have a dedicated Information, Advice & Support (IAS) Line with a 24-hour answerphone. We also respond to email queries and have a contact form to receive messages from you via our website.
The kind of things we help with include:
- Understanding legal processes, such as Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessments and plans; knowing what you need to do and critical timescales.
- Practical tasks, such as dealing with paperwork, getting your child or young person referred for extra help (SEN support), asking for an EHC needs assessment, checking a draft EHC plan or contributing to reviews.
- Developing a good working relationship with staff at nursery, school or college, or with other professionals.
- Considering your options, clarifying your priorities and making decisions.
- Feeling listened to and prepared for meetings or reviews
- Understanding how to deal with exclusions, disagreements with professionals or how to move forward when things have gone wrong.
- Signposting to additional sources of information, advice or support, groups and services.
We also provide:
- Monthly support group meetings in our local authority areas
- Links with other local groups and forums
- Free information events and courses which help you find out more about SEND.
- Training for SENCOs, school governors and university students
- A termly newsletter and e-bulletins specific to each local authority area